Welcome to GaAER
The Georgia chapter of the Association for the Education and Rehabilitation of Blind and Visually Impaired
On behalf of the Georgia Chapter of the Association for the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (GaAER), we welcome you to our chapter website. During your visit we hope you will find the information helpful as you learn about the activities and happenings of the Georgia AER Chapter and low vision and blindness resources available in Georgia. In the navigational toolbar or the links below, you will find information about our chapter including our mission, current board members, and recent newsletters. You will also find highlights from our annual conference, statewide training opportunities, information on Georgia blindness agencies, and university systems of Georgia disability services contacts just to name a few. We encourage vision professionals as well as those entering the vision field to join us through membership.
AER is the only international membership organization dedicated to rendering all possible support and assistance to the professionals who work in all phases of education and rehabilitation of blind and visually impaired children and adults.
AER provides professionals with:
- Access to publications including JVIB
- Professional Development Opportunities and Conferences
- Advocacy on a National Level
- Member benefits, including hotel and rental car discounts, as well as Professional Liability Insurance opportunities
Georgia Chapter of AER Information
GaAER Mission Learn more about the mission of the Georgia Chapter of AER
GaAER Board Members Meet the current board members
GaAER Membersip Learn how you can join GaAER and be a part of our state's great network of professionals, programs, and consumers in the field of blindness and visual impairments.
GaAER Newsletter Read up on the latest news and events.
Spring 2020 Elections
The GaAER Board is seeking nominations for openings on the board for July 2020-June 2022. Are you interested in becoming more involved? Do you know someone you think would be a good leader? You may nominate yourself or someone else (with his/her permission please). The following positions will be on this year’s ballot:
- President (2 years as president, 2 years as immediate past president) Because the current president-elect, Carmen Willings, was appointed by the board, the position is open for nominations and election by the full body, as per the GaAER by-laws. Carmen is willing to run for nomination, but all nominations are welcome.
- President-elect (2 years as president elect, 2 years as president, 2 years as immediate past president)
- Secretary (2-year term). Linda Williams is offering to continue to serve as secretary, but all nominations are welcome.
- Treasurer (2-year term). Deborah Lovell is offering to continue to serve as treasurer, but all nominations are welcome.
- Board member-at-large #3 (4-year term).
- Board member-at-large #5 (4-year term).
- Board member-at- large # 6 (4-year term).
- Current AER member living or working in Georgia
- Willingness to be actively involved
- Attend and participate in monthly virtual board meetings (evenings by phone or Zoom)
- Assist with planning and executing the annual conference
- Maintain AER membership status
To submit a nomination, email name and a short bio to Linda Williams, GaAER secretary.
Nomination Deadline: May 22, 2020
Write a Professional Article for GaAER Website
If you are an Georgia AER member and are interested in writing a professional article for the GaAER website, please let us know! Accepted articles will be published on our website. You may submit a copy of your article to ACVREP to receive credit! Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
Distance Learning During COVID-19
If you are a Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist (COMS), you may wonder how to provide instruction to your clients during the COVID-19 pandemic. ACVREP has recently written a guideance paper on O&M services to address this situation. Read the position paper on distance O&M services for strategies and guideance.
Join the Georgia VI Google Group
The Georgia VI Google Group is a network of Georgia professionals in the field of visual impairment and blindness. Learn about upcoming events and have reciprocal conversations with members.
To be included in this Georgia exclusive Google Group, apply for membership on the Google page or contact Jim Downs who manages the group directly at email@example.com Note: Be sure to adjust your email settings so you are sure to receive notifications.